I don’t want to say much because this video speaks volumes but I must assure you that this Candied Yam Casserole recipe is just as good as it looks. I remember the first time I created this recipe for our family Thanksgiving back in San Diego and mouths just dropped.
We were at my mom’s home with a handful of family members and plates were packed to the brims with all Thanksgiving regulars. Everybody dug in and did the typical “rotation of the plates,” critically tasting each dish. Turkey, check. Mac & cheese, on point. Greens, ok you did that. Candied yam casserole … hmmm … FIYAAAAAAAAA! Immediately it was like the day of Pentecost. The Holy Ghost, in true form, fell upon the saints and they started speaking in tongues as the yams hit their palates.
Naturally I’m sitting in my seat pretending to be humble but mentally popping my collar because I knew I brought the heat. It’s my special ingredient is what truly separates my casserole from all the other sweet potato casseroles out there.
Ginger + Yams whaaaa???
The addition of fresh grated ginger makes all the difference. Boom I said it. Whaaa???? The other day I just went to the store with my best friend to get the ginger and her first response was, “I don’t even know what that thing is.” It made me realize that everyone has heard of ginger but few people even know what it looks like in its natural form.
Yes, it is this little oddly shaped root vegetable elevates the flavor of all the other ingredients in the candied yam casserole. Additionally, the brown sugar crumble adds just enough contrast and buttery sweetness to make your tongue start hitting the quan. I would also like to add that this dish only takes 25 minutes to blow your mind. Trust me when I say you want this on you Thanksgiving menu.
Friendly reminder that there are only 5 more days left to enter the Jord Wood Watches giveaway. You get a chance to win $20-$75 e-gift codes for their shop. The awesome part about it is that everyone who enters wins something!!!! As I like to say, there are losers in #TeamGreedy, we eats it all. One of these watches will make the perfect gift. #InTimeForTheHolidays #EnterNow The contest will close November 20th at 11:59pm.
Giveaway sponsored by Jord Wood Watches
- (1) 40 oz. can + (1) 27 oz. of canned yams drained
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup pecans (or your favorite nuts), chopped
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, chopped
- ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, add yams (drained) and mash until smooth with light chunks. Stir in orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange zest, black pepper, salt, vanilla, ginger.
- In a separate bowl add pecans, flour, salt and brown sugar and stir until mixed. Cut chilled butter into pieces and add it to the dry bowl of dry ingredients. With you hands work the butter into the dry ingredients until large, moist clumps begin to form.
- In a greased casserole dish pour yam mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle brown sugar crumble over top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.