Green Chicken Tortilla Soup - This soup takes me back to growing up in San Diego.
- 3 chicken breasts or thighs
- 10 tomatillos
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 3 jalapenos, deseeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- broken tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Optional toppings:
- Tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro, jalapeno slices, red onion, shredded cheese, queso fresco, limes and sesame sticks and tapatio.
- Add chicken broth to a large pot and bring to a boil. Lower temperature to a simmer and add in bay leaf and chicken and bay leaf to large pot. Once completely cooked through, approximately 20 minutes, then remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle use a fork to shred the meat. Remember to remove the bay leaf.
- While the chicken cooks, heat olive oil in a separate saucepan on medium heat. Add in tomatillos, onion, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook down for approximately 10-12 minutes. Tomatillos should be blistered and soft to the touch. Add tomatillo mixture to the food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Stir in tomatillo mix and shredded chicken back into the pot of broth. Add in lime juice, worcestershire sauce and honey and stir and let simmer. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper to your liking.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with tortilla chips to taste, optionally garnish with your preferred toppings; serve immediately.
Note: My toppings included tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, red onion, queso fresco, and I also tossed sesame sticks and tapatio hot sauce together.