Momma's Deep Dish Mac & Cheese Recipe Type : Holiday Cuisine: Comfort Food Author: Meiko Cook time: 60 mins Total time: 1 hour Serves: 12 servings You can thank my mom for this delicious deep dish Mac & Cheese recipe. And her shortcut for allows you to achieve a solid yet creamy consistency without the hassle of making a homemade bechamel sauce
- 16oz pack large elbow noodles
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups sharp cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup smoked gouda, shredded and divided
- 1 cup whole milk mozzarella, shredded and divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ? teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- water to boil noodles
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cheese soup or cream of mushroom
- ¼ - ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- In a large pot, boil water and prepare pasta as package instructs for al dente. Once pasta is al dente remove the pot off the heated burner. Pour pasta into strainer to remove water then add it back to the warm pot. Let the heat of the pot steam out any excess water off the noodles. Heat should be turned off.
- Add in butter to the pot and stir, the the residual heat melt the butter until it is completely dissolved and has coated all the pasta.
- In a separate bowl add together sour cream, cottage cheese, 1 cup of sharp cheddar, ½ cup gouda, and ½ cup of mozzarella, cheese sauce, milk and all of your seasonings and whisk well. Add the mixture to your pot of al dente noodles and make sure they are fully coated. This is the perfect time to taste the pasta mixture to ensure it is seasoned well. Feel free to add more salt and pepper if needed.
- By this time your pot should have cooled down. If so, this is a good time to add in your whisked eggs and lightly stir. No more tasting after the eggs have been added.
- In a generously greased baking pan (I used 11x7') pour in half of you pasta mixture. Top that layer with half of your remaining cheeses but make sure to save half. Then add in the remaining pasta mixture and top it evenly with the remaining three cheeses.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, increase the heat to 425 degrees, remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese bubbles start to turn golden brown. Watch the oven closely to prevent burning. Serve warm!
- **I recommend that you purchase block cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheeses tend to have a flour coating that prevents melting.
I recommend that you purchase block cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheeses tend to have a flour coating that prevents melting.