Candied Yam Shakshuka
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 5 Servings
- 4-5 eggs
- 1 15oz can sweet yams
- 1 sweet potato, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 -3/4 cup)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup plain tomato sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oils
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup feta crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- warm Naan bread or pitas
- In a blender add canned yams, coconut milk, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice and blend until smooth; set mixture aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil on high. Add in sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in onion, salt and pepper to the sweet potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender. Pour in the yam/coconut milk sauce from the blender over the sweet potatoes, stir and reduce the heat to medium low. Let the mixture simmer for 5 more minutes. Add ¼ cup of water if the sauce is too thick.
- Gently crack eggs one at a time, directly over the mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce. Cover the skillet and continue to cook for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Sprinkle shakshuka with feta and parsley and serve with naan bread.