Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Quiche with Potato Chip Crust
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 5-8 Servings
- 1 8-9oz bag of potato chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 15 crackers (saltine or butter)
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Quiche Filling
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced button or crimini mushrooms
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1./2 cup milk
- ½ cup feta
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a pinch of garlic powder
- Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a food processor pulse potato chips until they turn into a fine crumble.. Pour chips into a large mixing bowl. Add crackers to the food processor and pulse into a fine crumble and pour into the bowl with the chips. Whisk to mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour in melted butter and stir.
- Pour mixture into a lightly oiled tart pan (my pan size was 9.75” in diameter)
- Prebake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes then remove from the oven to cool.
- Quiche Filling Instructions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high and add in sliced onions. Sauté the onions for 8 minutes then add in balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low and cover for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and place onions in a bowl.
- In the same pan on medium, heat the last teaspoon of olive and add in the mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms for 10 minutes or until all liquid as evaporated.
- Add the onions back into the pan and add in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and heavy cream.
- Take the tart pan with the potato chip crust and add in a layer of feta. Top this with the onion and mushroom mixture. Add on top the final layer of mozzarella cheese and then pour the egg mixture across the top.
- Place tart pan on baking sheet and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for 10 minutes before serving,