Italian Sausage Stuffed Avocados
Recipe type: Entrees
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 sweet Jeannie-O sweet Italian Turkey sausages, de-cased
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup marinated sundried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ freshly grated or shaved parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to packaged instructions. ((I prepared my quinoa by bringing 1 cup of water and ½ cup of quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Then, I reduce the heat to low, covered and simmered until it was tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Finally I added the salt, pepper and garlic powder and fluffed with a fork.)
- Cut the sausages lengthwise down the center. There should be an outer casing or lining that you can easily remove. Add the meat to a skillet on medium high and brown.
- Slice avocados lengthwise and remove the pit. Using a spoon, cut an internal perimeter in the avocado halve, leaving some of the flesh attached to the skin. Scoop out the center perimeter and chop. Set the hallowed shells to the side.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, sausage, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta and stir until complete mixed. Lightly toss in the chopped avocado, tossing gently if you want them to maintain their shape. Scoop the mixture into the hallowed shells and sprinkle parmesan across the top.
- Place in oven to allow cheese to melt, approximately 10 minutes. Serve warm.