Loaded Huevos Rancheros with Roasted Tomatillo and Poblano Salsa
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 6 Servings
- 6 eggs
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 (5-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups green salsa (I used roasted tomatillo and poblano salsa)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup queso fresco
- ¼ cup Mexican crema
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1½ teaspoons Tajiro Classico Seasoning (otherwise substitute with salt and pepper)
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high until the oil starts to sizzle (but not smoking). Put 1 tortilla in skillet and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side or until you see the center of the tortilla starting to turn golden brown. Fry the remaining tortillas in the same manner, adding 1 tablespoon oil to skillet for each tortilla. Place tortillas on paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- In a small saucepan, heat the refried beans on medium. In a separate medium pot, add the shredded chicken and stir in the taco seasoning and water and heat on medium until completely mixed.
- In the previous nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then crack 3 eggs into skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks (heat longer if you want it less runny). Sprinkle the eggs with Tajiro Classico Seasoning. Transfer the eggs to a plate and keep covered, then cook remaining 3 eggs in the same manner.
- To layer the plate, start with one of the prepared tortillas. Across the tortilla, spread on 2 tablespoons of the black beans (drained). Layer 3 heaping tablespoons of the shredded chicken on top of the beans. Next, spoon ¼ cup of the salsa and top of the chicken followed by the fried egg. Garnish the dish with sliced avocados, crumbled queso fresco, cilantro, and crema.