Portobello Salmon Burger with Goat Cheese Aioli
Recipe type: Sandwiches
Serves: 2 servings
- 4 large Portobello caps
- ½ lb ground salmon
- 1 tablespoon gluten free binder (almond meal, coconut flour or garbanzo flour)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped green onion
- 4 teaspoons vinaigrette or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning for seafood
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, and some to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and some to taste
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Optional toppings: Fresh basil leaves, roasted marinated peppers, candied balsamic lemon slices, lettuce,
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients (binder/flour, sea salt, pepper, old bay, lemon pepper and celery salt) and mix. Add in ground salmon, green onion, thyme and continue to mix thoroughly with your hands. Divide the mixture and shape two balls.
- Set skillet on medium high and add a teaspoon of vinaigrette (or olive oil) for each burger.
- Add balls to the skillet in to not smash immediately. Let them cook for about 1 minute and the mash them with a spatula into patty form. Cook time should be approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.
- In the same skillet add remaining vinaigrette (or olive oil) at medium high heat. Place Portobello caps in the skillet and cook on each side for 4 minutes. Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Serve salmon burgers on top of Portobello caps and add desired toppings.
- Note: You can always ask your butcher to grind your salmon for you or just use your own food processor to pulse.