Roasted Corn and Chorizo Chilaquiles
Recipe type: brunch, breakfast
- 16 oz chorizo, casing removed if necessary
- 5 eggs
- 5-6 cups of tortilla chips
- 1 ear of corn
- 28 oz fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup pepper jack
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, sliced onions, queso fresco, avocado, chipotle cream, jalapeños
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 2.5 teaspoons of chipotle adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pull husk back from corn but try to keep husks in tact. Remove the silk, wash corn and pat dry. Brush on olive and rewrap husk around ear of corn. . If the husk falls off just wrap the corn in alumni foil. Place corn on the cob directly onto the rack and bake for 25 minutes (remove covering last 5 mins if you want to achieve a char). Remove the corn from the oven and let cool until you can handle with your hands. Use knife to shave corn off the cob.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, add the fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotles chilies, orange juice, onion powder, lemon pepper and salt and blitz until smooth.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, add the onion and chorizo and roasted cornuntil cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, for approximately 5 minutes. Whisk eggs in a bowl then add to the chorizo mixture and stir until very softly set, about 1 minute. Pour in 1½ cups of the tomato mixture and simmer about 7 more minutes to let the mixture slightly thicken.
- Place the tortilla chips in an extra large bowl, pour over the remaining tomato mixture, and toss with your hands to make sure they are well coated. Place half of the tortilla chips in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish, then layer with half the chorizo mix and half the shredded pepper jack. Repeat with remaining chips, chorizo mix and pepper jack. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with corn, cilantro, avocado, queso fresco, jalapeno, onion and chipotle cream. Serve immediately.
- In a medium bowl whisk greek yogurt, adobo sauce and cilantro until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.