Candied Yam Casserole With Brown Sugar Streusel
Traditional candied yam flavor taken up like 10 notches with a bubbly, crunchy brown sugar crumble.
Recipe type: Holiday Desserts
Cuisine: Comfort Food
Serves: 10-12 servings
- (1) 40 oz. can + (1) 27 oz. can yams drained
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of salt
Brown Sugar Streusel
- 1 cup pecans (or your favorite nuts), chopped
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, chopped
- ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, add yams (drained) and mash until smooth with light chunks. Stir in orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange zest, black pepper, salt, vanilla, ginger.
- In a separate bowl add pecans, flour, salt and brown sugar and stir until mixed. Cut chilled butter into pieces and add it to the dry bowl of dry ingredients. With you hands work the butter into the dry ingredients until large, moist clumps begin to form.
- In a greased casserole dish pour yam mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle brown sugar crumble over top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.