Crispy Fried Chicken with Molasses Pepper Jelly Drizzle
If you are looking for the crispiest, spiciest, homemade fried chicken you won't find a better recipe. The addition of the Molasses Pepper Jelly drizzle to takes your tastebuds straight to the south.
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 3 - 4 servings
- 1 quart of buttermilk
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce, divided
- Kosher Salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 clean brown paper bag
- 4 lbs bone-in, skin-on breasts, legs, drumsticks, and/or wings
- 4 cups peanut oil, canola oil or vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1½ tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon lemon pepper
- ½ of a teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ of a teaspoon of turmeric
Molasses Pepper Jelly Drizzle
Makes: ½ cup
- 6 tablespoons Tabasco pepper jelly
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- juice of 1 lime
- To make spice blend: in a small bowl thoroughly sift or whisk together onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, lemon pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin and turmeric.
- To brine chicken: in a large air tight container or freezer bag add buttermilk, 3 tablespoons of kosher salt, 2 tablespoons of spice blend and ¼ cup of hot sauce and whisk together. Completely submerge chicken in buttermilk brine and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. This is an optional (but highly recommended) step.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk brine, allowing excess buttermilk to drip off. Do not rinse the chicken. Use 3 tablespoons of spice blend to generously season both sides of all the chicken pieces.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, 3 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and 1 tablespoon of spice blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 2 tablespoons of salt, and ¼ cup of spice blend. Pour flour mix in brown paper bag. Drop the seasoned chicken into the bag of flour, and shake to coat. Do this in batches of 3-4 pieces at a time to give ample space for coating. Once each piece is thoroughly coated place it on parchment paper.
- To double dredge completely dip coated chicken in egg mix and then shake off the excess egg mixture. In batches, place chicken back into the brown paper bag of flour. Give it a second shake to coat chicken pieces again then shake off excess flour.
- Heat your oil to 375°F in a 12-inch straight-sided cast-iron chicken fryer or a large skillet medium-high heat. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain the temperature. Place the chicken skin side down into the pan. Temperature should drop to a maintained 350°F. Put thighs in the center, and breast and legs around the edge of the pan. The oil should come half way up the pan. Cook chicken approximately 8 - 10 minutes per side or until golden brown. More importantly, the internal temperature should be right around 165°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet. Instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part should register 165°F. Season with salt and serve warm.
- To make Molasses Pepper Jelly Drizzle: in a skillet over medium heat add all ingredients and whisk until mixture boils. Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens. Pour over fried chicken or serve on the side.