Southern Style Greens
A mix of collard, mustard and turnip greens, smoked turkey and carefully selected seasonings makes this slow cooked southern classic ready right out the stock pot.
Recipe type: Holiday Sides
Cuisine: Soul Food
- 2 bunches of collard greens, deveined and chopped
- 1 bunch of turnip greens, deveined and chopped
- 1 bunch of mustard greens, deveined and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups (16 oz) picante salsa
- ½ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- the meat of two smoked turkey legs
- 4 (32 oz.) cartons of unsalted chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 /4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Large Stock Pot
- Clean and devein the greens then roughly chop them.
- **Optional** remove turkey meat from the bone. Make sure to get the small bones scattered in between the meat. Reserve the large bones.
- Put the chicken stock in a medium stockpot on high heat. Once you get to a rolling boil add in all the remaining ingredients (including the large turkey bones), cover, reduce heat to medium and let them cook down for 3- 4 hours depending on how tender you like your greens. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Serve once the greens have reached your desired level of tenderness.