Vegan Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy butternut squash soup with deliciously spicy curry flavors and warm spiced pumpkin seeds. An incredibly simple appetizer that is sure to please any crowd.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 cups
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2lb butternut squash, 5½ cups peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can whole coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons raw turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ c cup green onion
- Heat coconut oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once dissolved add in onion, garlic, turmeric, coriander, curry paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add in butternut squash, vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a light simmer and add in cinnamon, sugar, black pepper, salt and lime juice and let cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is soft.
- While the soup simmers make the spiced pumpkin seeds by mixing seeds, maple syrup, red pepper flakes, coriander, cinnamon and kosher salt in a small bowl. Once seeds are well-coated fold in green onion and set aside.
- When the squash is soft transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Blend in batches if necessary but don’t fill the mixture to the top to avoid an excessively hot eruption. Once blended, spoon soup into a large bowl, top with spiced pumpkin seeds and sprinkle atop extra lime juice (optional). Serve warm.