Recipe type: Holiday
- 12-15lb Turkey
- 3 onions roughly chopped
- 1 lb pack of baby carrots or 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 4 stalks of celery roughly chopped
- 1 fresh herb poultry pack (thyme, rosemary, sage)
Turkey Butter Compote
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (you can omit salt if using a salt brined turkey
- In your oven adjust your racks down so that once the turkey is placed inside it will sit right in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl add butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, curry powder, Cajun seasoning and salt (if needed). Use a wooden spoon to stir all the components together until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Spatchkcock your turkey by placing it laying chest down. Using heavy-duty scissors remove the backbone (you can preserve the excess bone to make a broth for the gravy). Flip the bird over so that is laying chest up and the cavity is exposed flat to the surface. Use both hands to press down on the upper chest plate until you hear the bone fracture. This helps the turkey lay flat.
- Use your hands to separate the skin of the turkey from the meat over the two breasts and two thighs. After creating a pocket of space add in your butter compote to inside those four pockets. Reserve enough of the butter mixture to cover the outside of the bird as well.
- On a rimmed baking sheet with wire rack add your fresh herbs and vegetables and then place the turkey on top of the wire wrack.
- Place turkey in the oven to roast making sure to rotate the pan every 20 minutes. The turkey cook for approximately 80 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the breast registers 150°F and at the thighs registers at least at 165°F.
- When the turkey is ready remove it from the oven and let it cool or 20 minutes undisturbed.
Step-by-Step Spatchcocking guide can be found here: