What a week! So if you didn’t read my previous blog post I will catch you up on the week’s festivities. After being swept away by the Kendrick Lamar Grammy performance I decided to restructure my content and recipe development this week to pay homage to his song “The Blacker The Berry”. As a result blackberries took the spotlight this week and boy did they shine in these four new recipes.
I’m a huge fan of tacos; they are probably the one food type that I east most often out of anything else. I love coming up with new taco combinations, so using tacos for this challenge was right up my alley. For this occasion, I used Aidells Spicy Mango with Jalapeno sausage and topped it with bright blackberry and cucumber salsa.
Spicy Mango Chicken Sausage Tacos with Blackberry and Cucumber Salsa - This taco provides a bite that's sweet, spicy and refreshing.
- Taco Ingredients
- 2 Aidells Spicy Mango w/ Jalapeno Smoked Chicken Sausage (can alternate with chicken apple sausage), chopped
- 2 flour tortillas (wheat or white)
- 2 ½ tablespoons Mexican crema (can alternate with sour cream)
- ¾ cup red cabbage, chopped
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of tajin classico seasoning
- blackberry salsa
- ! Blackberry Salsa Ingredients
- 1¼ cups of sliced blackberries
- ¼ cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of grape jelly, melted (can alternate with honey)
- 1 teaspoon habanero, chopped and deseeded
- salt to taste
- In a bowl mix all salsa ingredients then refrigerate.
- Put olive oil in pan on medium high heat. When hot add in red cabbage and stir occasionally. Cook cabbage until the edges start to char and get crispy, about 5-7 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In pan, cook sausage on medium high heat (5-7 minutes) and heat tortillas until soft and pliable.
- To layer taco, put chicken sausage on tortilla first; followed by the crispy cabbage and top with blackberry cucumber salsa. Drizzle crema over the top and serve.