15-Minute Shaved Carrot Salad with Ponzu Dressing <<<<< Perfect Potluck Dish Alert!!!! I am always trying to build my arsenal of unique, inexpensive and easy dishes that are perfect for gatherings and get-togethers. I think I hit the nail on the coffin with this one.
Have you ever been asked to bring a dish to a “friendly” potluck with people who you feel like you always have to impress. I have my go to friends who I can share everything with … even my bad dishes. But if I can be honest, I also have other friends who I have to be more polished around.
I always feel a lot of pressure to bring a home run dish to friend’s potlucks. As a food blogger there is a bit of expectation when it comes to winning dishes which I think is fair given this is my full-time occupation. But coming up with something new an inventive can be a bit daunting.
Ok I’ll take a break from whining to share my immense love of this Shaved Carrot Salad with Ponzu Dressing which is done is no time. You know that is like music to my ears. The shaved rainbow carrots add brightness and flare with minimal effort. The ponzu sauce has that sweet umami flavor that goes really well with the carrots. After tossing the shaved carrots in the dressing I added on top a light helping of herb bread crumbs for crunch and texture which really sealed the dish for me.
The whole dish comes together in less than 15 minutes which is bananas to me given how flavorful and beautiful it is. This is sure to be a crowd pleasure especially if you are in a time crunch. Give the recipe a try and let me know your thoughts below.
15 Minute Shaved Carrot Salad with Ponzu Vinaigrette - this incredibly easy salad is a seasonal favorite with the brightness of rainbow carrots and a delicious ponzu vinaigrette
- 16 carrots (I used rainbow carrots)
- ¼ cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup carrot stalks, chopped (or replace with equal parts scallions or parsley)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup safflower or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons agave or honey
- 2 tablespoons ponzu
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ? cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon garlic
- Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz until emulsified, approximate 20 seconds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Shave carrots thin with a vegetable peeler or mandolin and add to a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the carrots and toss.
- In a separate medium bowl add panko crumbs scallions, carrot stalks and sea salt and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the carrots and toss again until they are spread throughout the salad. OPTIONAL: Sprinkle the top of the salad with black sesame seeds and a bit of more panko crumbs if available.
Wait to add the panko crumb mixture until right before you are ready to serve in order avoid sogginess.